My great-grandmother used to make the best magdalenas ever! She used to make the batter all by hand with a spatula, she also used to sell it to people through a lovely window from her colonial style house. Those magdalenas were a huge part of my childhood, I remember running into my great-grandmother’s kitchen just to smell the delicious aroma of the magdalenas in the oven.
Unfortunately, once she passed away she took with her the recipe of the magdalenas. I never had the opportunity of knowing the recipe, but I always knew the flavour and the aroma, and that’s more than enough for me in order to create my own version of those delicious magdalenas.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Quantity: 8 magdalenas
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- 150 gr unsalted butter
- 100 gr brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1 cup and a half self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 8 paper muffin cup
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC
- In a muffin’s baking tray place paper muffin cups.
- With a electric mixer beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until creammy and pale.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the flour, lemon zest and milk.
- Beat until well combined.
- Stop the electric mixer and divide the mixture into two parts and place them in to separated bowls.
- Stir the cocoa powder in one half of the mixture and mix until well combined.
- Place both batters (chocolate and vanilla) together in the same bowl and slightly mix with a spatula. Note: You should be able to see and differenciate both colours, the brown from the chocolate and the yellow from the vanilla. Please avoid mixing until well combined, otherwise you won’t achieve the marble look.
- Place a bit of the batter into each of the paper muffin cups.
- Bake for about 23 minutes or until you pinch one of the muffins with a wood-stick and it comes out clean.
Maria is a qualified personal trainer, fitness instructor, nutrition coach, Chef and athlete. Her philosophy is, basically, based on transforming body and mindset simultaneously to achieve the best results from inside out. Boosting energy levels and improving overall health are her main keys to help you out have the body you have always dreamed of. Her methods are 100% natural and healthy.